Sunday, July 22, 2007

It is but "Natural"

A senior of mine had been speaking about one for quite some time. The same guy finally got one for himself. I'd been looking at it and wondering for a long time, as to how in the world would it be possible to use it. Then I reached a level of competency where I could actually use one myself. And today I finally got myself one of those.

*satisfied smile*

The one in the story above refers to this.

I have always been fascinated by people who can type without casting a single glance at their fingers (I understand that this is not something to be fascinated about. but I really was). It almost seems like they are speaking, maybe because their eyes never lose focus !! And now, after completing more than 2 years of handling a keyboard continuously (and having lost the ability to use a pencil), I can almost do exactly that :-). I remember how contented I had felt when I had first been able to type my password without looking down, I'd practically told about it to a good friend of mine :-p.

Newyz, coming back to today, because of my incessant practice on my laptop, the keys got screwed big time. To the extent, that I got used to using the screwed up keys the way they respond :-D. And today for some reason, I had an urge to go get a new keyboard for myself, and now if I was going to get one, why not one which takes care of me ergonomically. Hence, the Natural Multimedia Keyboard from Microsoft.

So now, even though I am very proud of owning, and being able to use one, I still hate a few things about it, as follows (in order of appearance in the last 6 hours):

  • The fact that it has been designed by Microsoft (I don't know when I might have to restart my keyboard :-p)
  • It costs way more than its other simpler counterpart input devices, and its possession may be termed as extravagance on my part.
  • Since I have not configured most of the other keys as yet, I am in a position where I can make my machine sleep in one click, but I do not know how to wake it up. (I choose to blame it on Microsoft ;-)).
  • Throughout the writing of this post, I have kept pressing an "N" when I want to write a "B" (ditto for "T" and "Y").
  • I have an uneasy feeling, that the keyboard on my laptop is going to feel left out, a soutan kinda feeling :-(.
In spite of this though, now I am looking forward to spending on otherwise busy Sunday, configuring the unused keys, and making nice things happen to my XGL setup, thanks to this writeup.

And now I can sleep peacefully, knowing that there is at least one disorder that I am guarded against.

1 ricochets:

Vipul said...

I guess u r very tightly bonded with u r new keyboard ...
Anyways ...Happy Typing Dude...!!